Henderson Libraries was established in 1943 in Downtown Henderson after a petition to create the Henderson School Public Library was introduced. Seven years later, its first Children's Summer Reading Program was introduced. Through the years Henderson Libraries has continued to offer innovative children's programming - increasing children's interest in the library both today and into the future. That interest, combined with the growing number of new homes in the community resulted in the purchase and renovation of the library's district's first permanent building. The building program began in February 1953.
In a major overhaul of education laws, the Henderson School Public Library became a county library district in 1956 during a special session of the Nevada Legislature. At that time, statutes were written to convert school library districts to county library districts. Subsequent to 1967, several additional library districts were formed including Clark County Library District, Pahrump, Smokey Valley, Amargosa, and Tonopah. Henderson and Boulder City Library Districts remained as previously formed in 1956.
Henderson Libraries cooperates with the other public libraries in Southern Nevada, the Nevada System of Higher Education, the Clark County School District and all other libraries around the state to provide quality library services to Nevada's residents.